Monday, May 21, 2007

tea cosies - flat views


Each reincarnations tea cosy is one-of-a-kind, lovingly hand-crafted from recycled, felted 100% wool sweaters. Wool has many amazing properties that make it a superb insulator. It retains heat even when wet and is naturally flame-retardant.

The teapots are courtesy of my friend Laurie, who collects teapots. She generously loaned them to me for my "photo shoots." (I drink lots of herbal tea, but ironically I never use a cosy - I like my tea lukewarm, and I make it in a Bodum-style coffee press. Yes, there is a prototype Bodum cosy in the works!)

I'm inspired by the colours of Kaffe Fassett's knitting and needlework designs, and the colour combinations I choose for my cosies are often reminiscent of the colourways Fassett uses.

I'm also inspired by folk art, North American rustic and Amish designs. I like to make practical objects that are beautiful, colourful and a little funky. I hate to throw anything away, so you'll often find ribbings or other sweater details incorporated into some of the cosies.

No comments: